My Yoga Goals
- Build up strength in the muscles that support the knee. So that I can either avoid or postpone knee replacement.
- Build up strength throughout the body. This is important for all of us as we progress in life. It helps to limit the effects of arthritis.
- Better Balance – The primary reason for many falls is a lack of balance. I want to avoid those falls.
- More flexibility – I have a friend that can be seated cross-legged on the floor and come to standing without using her hands or arms. I want to be able to do that!
- Turn cartwheels – I love to turn cartwheels, even though I have not done so in many years. I have a goal of turning cartwheels on the beach!
Benefits of Yoga
I am learning that yoga is much more than body strength and flexibility. It is beneficial to us in many other ways. It can actually be considered a form of meditation and mindfulness. When you’re doing yoga, you are definitely only in the present moment. It’s hard to think of anything else when you’re thinking about the muscles in your feet, your thigh muscles, you pelvic floor, your abdominal muscles, your shoulder girdle, AND your breathing.
I’ll be talking more about benefits as I continue on my yoga journey.