Here’s the thing, I love Mac & Cheese, but it seems too decadent to eat very often. I have a killer recipe that I’ll probably post one day. But cauliflower is in season here in South Texas and so I have been buying it. One good recipe is my Garlicky Roasted Cauliflower. This time, though, I decided to use it in place of macaroni in my macaroni and cheese recipe. Not only is it healthier, but you don’t have to cook the cauliflower first! My cauliflower weighed 1.5 pounds which turned out to be a lot of cauliflower. Next time I’ll go for one that’s closer to 1 pound!
Cauliflower and Cheese
- 1 large head cauliflower washed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 pastured egg
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces grated cheese. I used half parmesan and half gouda
- 1 Tbsp whole seed mustard or 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- pepper - to taste
Preheat oven to 400.
Beat egg in a small bowl.
Melt butter in a large pot.
Use a pastry brush to brush some of the butter into your casserole dish.
Add flour to remaining butter and whisk together.
Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Do Not Burn.
Add milk and mustard and stir until smooth.
Cook until very thick - about 5 minutes.
Take about ¼ cup of the mixture and slowly pour into the bowl with the egg. Whisk until well mixed.
Add the egg mixture to the pot and stir until smooth.
Add cheese and stir until melted.
Add salt, pepper and seasonings of choice.
Add the cauliflower and stir.
Pour into a buttered casserole dish.
Bake 20-25 minutes until bubbly & golden brown on top
Latest posts by Barbara (see all)
- How To Make Ginger Tea – Good for Pain and Inflammation - October 3, 2018
- Which Fats are Healthy? Which Fats are Bad? - September 26, 2018
- Fragrance Ingredients – The Smoking Gun - September 19, 2018