Who doesn’t love fried okra? A compromise – pan fried okra uses some fat, but not near as much as deep fried okra. And you still get that yummy fried okra taste. This recipe is a HUGE hit at our house.
Pan Fried Okra
- 1 pound okra
- 1 cup organic corn meal
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Place un-cut okra pods in a bowl of cold water.
- Place corn meal in a plastic bag, or bowl with a lid.
- Drain okra, cut off tip and stem. Slice into 1/4 inch slices and put directly into bowl or bag with corn meal. Shake bag often to coat each piece well.
- When all okra is coated with corn meal, use a sieve and shake gently to remove excess corn meal.
- Heat oil in a skillet until hot. Test by placing 1 slice of okra in the hot oil. Pan is ready when the okra sizzles.
- Put okra into skillet, cover, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Uncover and turn gently.
- Cover and continue to fry, checking and turning as needed until okra is quite brown and very crisp.
- Season to taste with sea salt.
- Place 2 or 3 crumpled paper towels in a serving bowl. Remove okra to towels and allow to drain well.