Summer is the season for squash. Yellow summer squash and zucchini are plentiful in South Texas in the summer months. Here’s an easy dish that is light and refreshing. Made primarily from vegetables from our local farmer. It doesn’t get any fresher than that!
I like to prepare all the vegetables in advance and line them up, along with anything else that goes in the dish. That way, cooking is a breeze. Below are the cut up onion, squashes, mushrooms, and tomatoes — all ready for the cooking to begin.Sautéed Squash Medley! Click To Tweet
Did you know that the secret to a good sauté is to start with a hot pan? Then keep the food ‘jumping’ by stirring or shaking the pan. Set a timer for heating the pan and oil, don’t rush this part! Sprinkle a few drops of water into the pan. It should sizzle!
If you like it spicy, add a bit of crushed red pepper to this dish! Yum!
Sautéed Squash Medley
- 1 onion
- 1/4 pound mushrooms
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow summer squash
- 1/2 tomato
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Cut onion into approx 1/2 inch pieces
- Thinly slice mushrooms
- Thinly slice the Yellow Squash and Zucchini. You should have 3-4 cups of squash
- Cut tomato into approx 1/4 inch pieces
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or wok until hot. This could take 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle in crushed red pepper, if desired.
- Sauté onion until transparent.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add squash and cook for a few minutes. They should still be firm to the touch.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Health-Ified Deviled Eggs - August 10, 2021
- Can I Health-Ify Green Bean Casserole - August 10, 2021
- Cole Slaw – For Your Picnic or Barbecue - July 15, 2021